Green Cards update

Green Cards update

Green Cards update: new information for motorists travelling in Europe from 12th April 2019.

We previously gave advice about Green Cards for those travelling in Europe in a vehicle from 29th March. Given the EU vote on Thursday 21st March, the dates of that advice have now changed.

The EU has offered an extension to the Brexit departure date. This means that residents will no longer need a Green Card for travel in Europe between 29th March and 11th April.

If the UK government approves Prime Minister, Theresa May’s deal next week, you will not need a Green Card at all. If the government rejects the deal, then the earliest you will need a Green Card, if travelling in a vehicle in Europe, is 12th April onwards. 

However, this date could change, so please keep an eye on the media. You will only need a Green Card if there is a no-deal Brexit – and only from the date of the UK’s departure from the EU. Please see full updated information below. 

A no-deal Brexit on 12th April will affect all motorists including the following:

  • Anyone planning to take their vehicle to any EEA (The European Economic Area) country e.g. a family planning a holiday to France in the Easter holidays.
  • Those driving across the Northern Ireland / Republic of Ireland border.
  • Any freight company planning to transport goods into the EEA.
  • Anyone travelling into Europe before but not returning until 12th
  • All commercial trailers weighing over 750kg and non-commercial trailers weighing over 3,500kg must be registered with the local driving authority before travel to or through most EU and EEA countries and a separate Green Card will be required for these.

Drivers with a Channel Island or Isle of Man driving licence travelling to certain countries in the EU and EEA may also need to obtain an IDP (International Driving Permit).

Green Cards

What is a Green Card?

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance that’s issued by insurance providers. It guarantees drivers third-party motor insurance cover for driving in Europe.

Do I need a Green Card?

A physical copy of the Green Card will be required for travel within Europe from 12th April. An electronic copy will not suffice. Those who travel without one may be in breach of the law.

What does the Green Card cover?

A Green Card will be needed for any motor vehicle and to all forms of motor insurance – including private, commercial, motor trade and motor fleet policies. It is required to cover the registration number of the individual vehicle, so a Green Card will be needed to cover each vehicle when being driven in the EAA.

How do I obtain a Green Card?

Green Cards can be obtained by submitting a request to your motor insurance provider 1 - 2 weeks before travelling abroad. For Rossborough customers, please complete the following online form:


Rossborough customers can order a Green Card by completing the following online form:



This notice is not intended to give legal or financial advice, and, accordingly, it should not be relied upon. It should not be regarded as a comprehensive statement of the law and/or market practice in this area. In preparing this notice we have relied on information sourced from third parties and we make no claims as to the completeness or accuracy of the information contained. You should not act upon (or refrain from acting upon) information in this notice without first seeking specific legal and/or specialist advice. Rossborough Insurance accepts no liability for any inaccuracy, omission or mistake in this notice, nor will we be responsible for any loss which may be suffered as a result of any person relying on the information contained herein.

≪ Back to News

Please accept cookies and select your location

We use necessary cookies for site functionality. In order to improve your site experience, we'd also like to set optional cookies to personalise your experience and collect information on how you use our site. Click on a location to accept all cookies or select Manage Cookies to view our Cookie Policy and choose which cookies you’re happy for us to use.
Powered by Digital Control Room

Isle of Man
Isle of Man